Discover Frejus, Cannes & Grasse
The centre piece of the Cote d’Azur is the splendid region around the two main cities of Cannes and Fréjus. This area is well known for its stunning beaches, turquoise waters, authentic villages and of course some of the French Riviera’s most famous cities. This mix of natural beauty, historical treasures, cultural essence and modern day jet-set extravaganza makes it one of Europe’s most desired holiday destinations.
Every year this region hosts one of the world’s most famous events, the Cannes Film Festival. During these 10 days the area attracts an immense number of visitors and is vibrant summer-round. Of course the concept of summer is rather stretched here, with an average of 300 days of sun a year.
The city of Grasse is another pearl and is known worldwide as the capital of perfume. This medieval city with its narrow cobble stone streets, artisan shops and French cafes, is laid-out over a hilltop, offering stunning panoramic views of its surroundings.
Things to See & Do in Frejus, Cannes & Grasse
You'll find some of the best beaches in Les Issambres. The beach stretches along 8 km of inlets and fine sandy beaches. To the east towards the village of San-Peïre-sur-Mer you'll find water sports activities, rock pools, and guided trails to explore, plus the village itself with shops and regular markets. If you fancy going further afield you can take the ferry across the bay to to Saint Maxime and explore the beaches there.
Towns & Villages
- Magagnosc, a pretty Provencal village in the foothills of the Alps. It is only 5 minutes from Grasse and is surrounded by golf resorts, with good access to the skiing for winter visitors and many local walking trails.
- Mandelieu, only 12km from Cannes with access to shops, sandy beaches and a casino.
- Opio is another quiet hilltop village worth a visit if you're looking for a day away from the bustle of the Riveria. Here you will find concerns during the summer and can also join a tour to learn about the village's history, and enjoy panoramic view of the region.
- Roquefort les Pins is a beautiful village that has everything you could possibly need. It it surrounded by a pine tree forest, which is where the name comes from, and a rocky landscape, making it a great place to go for a walk or hike. There are lots of very pretty little streets in the centre, as well as lots of hidden buildings to be discovered.
- Valbonne is another small but pretty town distinctive in the layout, with streets and houses laid out in a grid system. There are some interesting shops and an old town to explore, making a great place for a day trip to explore on foot.
Events & Festivals
The most well-known festival in this area is, of course, the Cannes Film Festival. Because this is a busy tourist region many of the smaller towns and villages also have musical and entertainment programmes during the holiday season, particularly in July and August. Worth a visit is the hilltop village of Opio, with a programme of jazz festivals, concerts, dance recitals, and street festivals. Frejus is another local town with fetes throughout the year.
Activities for Families
If you are looking for fun days out with the family, Frejus is the place to be. You'll find the Aqualand waterpark here as well as the Luna Park theme park. For something a little quieter try Les Issambres, for the beach within easy access of a village and rock pools, perfect for exploring.
Markets & Museums
As well as the larger markets in towns such as Cannes and Grasse there are many smaller markets worth a visit, such as San-Peïre-sur-Me (Mondays) and Sainte Maxime, which has a regular craft and flea markets during the summer months (evenings) as well as a food market typical of the region.
The market in Cannes has three big food markets at Forville, Gambetta and La Bocca. You can find everything here, from wine and cheese to olives and fish, everything! For mainstream food shopping, there are also quite a few supermarkets.
Restaurants & Bars
Along the coast you'll find many quite beaches and quiet bars but if you're looking for nightlife, Cannes is the place for be.
Sites and Attractions
If you have ever seen the film 'The Man in the Iron Mask', you'll want to visit the Ile Sainte-Marguerite, just off the coast of Cannes. It took the mysterious 'Man' 11 years to escape from Fort Royal on this tiny, forested island but nowadays it's a lot easier to get to and from. The island is part of the Lérins islands. The neighboring smaller island is owned by monks who operate an excellent restaurant – definitely worth the trip!
Find a Villa in Frejus, Cannes or Grasse
Choose one of the destinations below to view our range of holiday villas, chateaux and apartment rentals. If you're not sure which area would suit your best or have specific needs, you can always call or email us and one of our team will be able to help you with your search.
|VIEW ALL OUR COTE D'AZUR HOLIDAY PROPERTIES|