Chateau des Cevennes - CEV101OL
Prices from £9,153 - £9,336
Sleeps: 18 Bedrooms: 11
This graceful château was built in 1575 and has three stunningly beautiful towers with impressive turrets. Château des Cevennes is set in a lovely 5 acre park in the Cevennes mountains, and enjoys the river Luech flowing lazily along its boundaries. A fairytale chateau that'll leave a lasting impression on old and young visitors alike - but especially kids, thanks to its Disney-like appearance!
About Chateau des Cevennes
This graceful, Disney-style chateau was built in 1575 and has three stunningly beautiful towers with impressive turrets. Stay here in Baronial style and imagine life 500 years ago when the suits of armour to be found decorating the chateau were used as protection, not as decoration!
Chateau des Cevennes is set in a lovely 5 acre park in the Cevennes mountains, and enjoys the river Luech flowing lazily along its boundaries. Nimes airport is just over one hour drive away (and the drive itself is incredibly scenic!) and the train station to the Montpellier coast and Paris is only a 15 minute walk away.
There is a substantial terrace around the chateau which is perfect for dining, and in the beautiful park-style grounds you'll find a large heated outdoor swimming pool area with cuisine d’ete, a terrace for BBQs and a changing room.
Chateau des Cevennes is within a minute's walk of a charmingly beautiful village with adjacent tennis court, shopping facilities, bars and restaurants. There are also many beautiful walks and drives to enjoy in the surrounding area which is also a haven for foodies - it's renowned for its wild boar, chestnuts and mushrooms. There's more than ample parking space for everyone too.
In terms of outdoor activities, the chateau couldn't be in a better spot - it's 20 mins away from skiing, 30 mins away from a reservoir for watersports and the cycling and hiking possibilities on your doorstep are endless. There's an amazing fete every weekend during the summer, which really should not to be missed!
Large terrace for dining and apéritifs. This really is one of the chateau's best features, and if the weather's on your side (and even if it's not!) you'll find yourself drawn back again and again to spend quality relaxation time here.
- Ornamental pond with fountain.
- River frontage to Le Luech.
- Heated 16m x 6m swimming pool with Cuisine d’Eté (summer kitchen with fridge, sink and full lunch crockery), terraces with BBQ, changing room, and WC. The summer kitchen is a fantastic addition which allows meals to be prepared and served right next to the pool - a proper slice of French living!
- A 5 acre park area
- Guardian’s house - Rodney the caretaker is on hand at all times, but unless you need him you won't even know he's there!
- The property has the most beautiful river running along its boundary! Along its gentle banks you'll find dozens of beautiful places to take the children for fun and picnics. The kids can paddle, skim stones, use fishing nets to catch minnows and swim – all right outside the chateau!
- The chateau's swimming pool is designed to allow all-day fun and has a special paddling section for youngsters and a seating section for the older ones - nobody needs miss out on the fun, and in summer it makes the perfect focal point for a great family holiday.
- A single tennis court is available, just opposite the end of Chateau des Cevenne's drive. The charges are modest and booking can easily be made through the chateau's guardian - ideally in advance to avoid disappointment!
Facilities and Features
- Entrance hall.
- Vaulted Kitchen with Godin range cooker and Smeg Fridge leading to the terrace.
- Vaulted dining room with reception area leading to terrace with 24 place settings.
- Vaulted study with internet access and chapel.
- Children's lounge
- Utility Room
- Wine cellar.
NB: Even though the chateau has 11 bedrooms, only 5 are standalone rooms and 3 are 'family rooms,' where the second room can only be accessed by walking through the first. As the name suggests, this does make them great for families!
- Master Bedroom with four-poster double bed and en-suite bathroom with roll-top bath and walk-in shower.
- Bedroom 2 with 4-poster single bed and en-suite bathroom leading to bedroom 3 with circular tower with mezzanine raised double bed (for children).
- Bedroom 4 with three single beds and en-suite shower room.
- Bedroom 5 with double bed and en-suite bathroom.
- Bedroom 6 with double bed and en-suite bathroom.
- Bedroom 7 with double bed and en-suite bathroom leading to Bedroom 8 with circular tower and twin beds.
Note: Additional single beds can easily be placed in bedrooms 2, 3, 4 and 7.
- Bedrooms 9 and 10 (both doubles) share a bathroom. In addition, there's a living room that can be made in to a further double bedroom if needed - please enquire for details!
- Private Pool
- Heated Pool
- 6+ Bedrooms
- 4+ Bathrooms
- Private Parking
- Satellite TV
- BBQ Area
- Table Tennis
- Pet Friendly
- Child Friendly
- Easy Walk to Shops
- Golf Nearby
- Watersports Nearby
- Spacious garden
- Event Venue
Location and Map
This marker is for indication purpose only
There are two 18-hole golf courses within an hour's drive towards Nimes, and you'll also find a 9-hole golf course not too far from Villefort (approximately 30 minutes' drive away). The area also has excellent trout fishing and there are several stocked lakes for children. The newly refurbished tennis court is only 5 minutes' walk away if you feel the need for a more intense workout.
The whole area is adjacent to the Cevennes National Park, which is renowned for its beautiful scenery and rivers - here you'll find an abundance of walks through unspoiled countryside. There is skiing in the Cevennes at nearby Mas de la Barque and Mont Aigaoul – ski de fond (cross country) is the most common way to enjoy the area, with a little downhill and tobogganing also available. It's 30-40 mins drive to skiing at Mas de la Barque, and the reservoir at Villefort is 30 mins drive away and offers a huge range of outdoor activities including pedalo hiring, kayaks, sailing boats, mountaineering, canyoning and potholing.
Flights - The chateau is one hour's drive from Nimes (Garons) airport (Ryanair from Luton and East Midlands), or 1½ hours from Montpellier (Ryanair from Stansted or Easyjet from Gatwick), or 1¾ hours from Marseilles (British Airways from Gatwick).
Trains - Eurostar to Lille or Paris and then TGV to Nimes. From Nimes either taxi or train from Nimes to Chamborigaud (which goes on to Clermont Ferrand) – the chateau is a 15 minute walk from the train station.
The area also has its own vineyards and free “degustations” (wine tastings) and tours can easily be arranged. The area is rich in beautiful towns with nearby Uzès and the World Heritage Site of Pont du Gard – the Roman Aquaduct is also within an hour’s drive, and is a must-see if you've a passion for history!
Alès is the nearest large town for shopping, and is situated a 20 minute drive away. It has the usual hypermarkets, ten-pin bowling, cinemas and a hospital. There is also a doctor's surgery in close proximity to the house.
Walking – the estate is bordered by the River Luech and there are some beautiful walks along its banks straight from the chateau grounds. The nearby village of Pont de Rastel is a short walk away, and is also incredible beautiful and perfect for exploring on foot!
As an additional bit of fun for the kids, the chateau has two Go-Karts which can be hired - please enquire for details! Also available is local pony and horse riding for all levels.
Weekly rates and Extra Charges
|rental period||weekly rate|
|02 Jan 2021 - 25 Jun 2021||£9153|
|26 Jun 2021 - 27 Aug 2021||£9336|
|28 Aug 2021 - 25 Mar 2022||£9153|
|01 Jan 2022 - 24 Jun 2022||£9153|
|25 Jun 2022 - 26 Aug 2022||£9336|
|27 Aug 2022 - 24 Mar 2023||£9153|
Fees and conditions
- Security Deposit: £3000.00
- Rates based on occupancy of 18 people per week..
- Linen, bath towels and pool towels included.
- Pool heating extra
- End of stay cleaning included.
- Complimentary mid week cleaning service of the shared spaces and bathrooms.
Maid service included
Chef/Cook available (at extra cost)
Babysitting service available (at extra cost)
On-site Concierge Service is provided by the excellent full-time Guardian Rodney (who lives away from the chateau), is happy to help with transfers, baby-sitting or even organize a local chef who is available to prepare any meal or even doing all food shopping.
Dogs not allowed inside but there are a large garage and utility room attached, both of which can be used to house a crate for a dog to sleep in.
Small 4 x 4 Suzuki Ignis available for use by guests.
Special banquets and formal meals with canapés can be arranged.
A strong WiFi connection is only available on the ground floor, though there is good phone signal throughout.